Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Budget Friendly Meal

Hello friends!

In light of recent events with the uncertainty of my job we have had to set ourselves on a strict budget for groceries. I am used to making lists when going to the store and making meal plans but our situation has forced me to be a little more creative in my meal planning to stay within budget. Hamburger Helper only tastes good for a short time!

I would like to share with you my mother's recipe of Goulosh. The first time I made it for Shawn he had it in his head he wasn't going to like it. He was used to Goulosh that had corn and green beans and whatever else was thrown in. This is not that type of Goulosh. It is inexpensive to make and super easy to throw together. It has been a family favorite for as long as I can remember. As you go along you might want to add your personal touch. I have added green chilies to the meat and onions as well as chopped jalapenos when I have them on hand. And, to make it easier I am even adding pictures!

Ingredients:
1 LB Hamburger Meat ($1.99)
1 Onion, diced (optional but adds a lot of flavor) ($0.49)
2 8oz cans Tomato Sauce ($1.00)
2 C Water (or fill each tomato sauce can with water)
1 Pkg Taco or Enchilada Sauce Mix (see picture below) ($0.50)
1 Pkg Macaroni Deluxe Meal (picture below) ($1.50)

Total: $5.48!

Step One:
Saute diced onion for 3-5 minutes in butter or olive oil. Add Hamburger Meat and cook until no longer pink. Drain grease (or not if there isn't much in there) and add back to pan.

Step Two:
Add the seasoning package to the meat and stir until the meat in evenly coated.
Step Three:
Add the 2 cans of Tomato Sauce and 1 C of water to mixture. Stir incorporate sauce, water, meat and seasoning. Bring to a boil.
Step Four:
Once mixture comes to a boil add the noodles of the Macaroni and Cheese. Don't add the cheese yet!
Step Five:
Turn the heat down to medium low and cook for about 10-12 minutes or until the noodles are done. You may have to add a little bit of water to help finish the noodles. Once the noodles are done add the cheese sauce from the foil pouch. Mix it in with all the other goodness and you now have a huge pot of Goulosh that will easily feed a family of 4!
Sorry, didn't take a picture of the final product because I was too busy stuffing my face!

I hope you enjoy this budget friendly meal and I will add more as we go along. Until then, take care friends and God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment