Tuesday, April 28, 2009

I am humble

We've all experienced those people, the ones that must keep up with what everyone else has. I truly don't feel Shawn and I are those people. One of my stores is in a very affluent area of Austin and there are countless Lexus' and Mercedes' and even a few Lamborghini's. Does that bother me? Not at all. I see parents come into the store and drop $400 on a phone for a 10 year old. Does that bother me? Not at all.

Shawn and I are not made of money and we work hard everyday for all the things that we do have. We don't drive fancy cars or want to buy a new one because someone else just got one. We live on a budget. We use coupons. I compare weekly ads to know where to get the cheapest things we use. We cook steak and shrimp at home for $10 instead of paying $50 at a restaurant. We take our lunch to work daily to avoid eating out. We buy in bulk because it's more cost effective to do so. We spent $20 on hair clippers to cut Shawn's hair at home instead of paying $20 a month for someone else to buzz it. Does this make us cheap? Not at all. We are simply not materialistic people. We enjoy nice things but don't feel we have to run out and get something because someone has it. We don't try to keep up with the Jones' or one up other people. What is the point of it and what would we be teaching our children (if we had them) if we did? We are humble in our lifestyle.

By doing all of these things and making these lifestyle changes we have been able to save hundreds of dollars a month which we can use for a nice vacation or a down payment on a house. Who knows? It's just nice to know that unlike other people in this materialistic world we don't have to spend money to have friends. We have family and friends that love us for who we are and not what we wear. It's a wonderful feeling and we are truly blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment